Skip to main content

The Hunger Games movie review

 http://ricmeyers.com/wp-content/ric-meyers-uploads/2012/03/the-hunger-games-movie-poster-24.jpg

Usually I hate watching book-to-movie films after I've already read the book. They never live up to the expectations of the movie in my head. There's only been one movie so far that I find better than the book, and that is the Lord of the Rings. 

So, after reading The Hunger Games (you can read my book review here), I watched the movie starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth and Stanley Tucci. And... I was very disappointed.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rs4U7rPerYM/T3ERilF-3YI/AAAAAAAABec/c3RpWRzBnzM/s1600/The-Hunger-Games-1.jpg

NOTE: the rest of the review will contain strong hints and spoilers of what happened in the book and the movie. If you do not wish to be spoiled, it is best to not read on.

Of course, for those who've read the book, you'll know that what worked in the story was the narration of the protagonist Katniss, what she was thinking, and her flashbacks. That is always difficult to show in a film so the movie struggled with that. And despite their big budget, I was rather unimpressed with most of the CGI scenes, especially when Katniss and Peeta made their grand fiery entrance in the chariot.

I also hated how they changed many vital scenes and things. Such as how Rue died. In the movie, Marvel aimed to kill Katniss and accidentally hit Rue instead. But in the book, he waited for Katniss to show up so that she could watch him kill Rue. It was, in a sense, Marvel trying to punish Katniss by making her watch helplessly, because he was angry that Katniss kept foiling the Careers' plans. All of this was not present in the movie, which i think made it less fulfilling.

Another scene that springs into mind was how the movie included the riots of District 11 after they watched Rue die. It doesn't make sense, because the riots happen after the 74th Hunger Games. They began because the population watched how Katniss and Peeta defied the Capital with their nightlock berries, and instead of being punished, they were rewarded with their lives and winnings. This sparks the districts into rebelling, because they saw the hope and the possibility to rebel without dying. This is another example of how powerful the book is compared to the movie.

I can think of many other things, but one of the things I was most disappointed with was Thresh. What little that was written of him in the books was very well-written. He was large, quiet, and emotionless towards other tributes, including Rue, until near the end. And his ending in the movie was definitely less than satisfying. I had hoped that they would have shown Thresh and Cato's final battle in the movie. Instead, Thresh was killed by mutts... the book was far definitely better.

Acting-wise, I also felt that most of the actors were very lackluster. The only person I truly like was Stanley Tucci, who really exceeded my expectations as host Caeser Flickerman. I've always felt the Stanley Tucci does a great job in all his movies, from Shall We Dance to the Devil Wears Prada.

The only scene that I felt was better than the book was at the end when Seneca Crane was locked in a room with an elegant bowl of deadly nightlock berries. It seemed almost like a poetic irony, rather than just being hanged, as mentioned in the book. However, if you remember Catching Fire showed Katniss 'hanging' Seneca Crane while showing off her talent in the 3 minute segment with the judges. That was an important scene, so I wonder how the second movie will be able to portray that, if the second movie gets made.

All in all, The Hunger Games was a very disappointing movie. I won't really hold my breath for Catching Fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro Post

Despite the name, this blog is not about carousels or couture (although you never know, that might change?). Nobody likes to spend money on something, only to discover that it does not deliver what it has promised. I sure don't. So I start this blog with the hopes that perhaps it'll help someone find their holy grail. And maybe, I'll find my own on the way too. Expect to find beauty and skincare reviews, book reviews, movie reviews, and current obsessions. Oh, and a little couture here and there too.

Schwarzkopf Ultimate Colour 499 Dark Cherry review

TDLR Review:  I would not recommend this hair colour product at all, because the shade turned out nothing like the box. Also it is difficult to wash off.  NOTE: I have dark Asian hair, which might be the reason why it's not suitable for this product. So I'm back with another hair dye review! I've raved about the Liese hair dyes before ( Cassis Berry , Sweet Apricot , Antique Rose ), because those are super easy to use (I've appreciated that even more after finding out how difficult some at-home hair dye kits can be to apply). But I got suckered into getting a box of Schwarzkopf Ultimate Colour hair dye, because the models on Schwarzkopf hair dye boxes always have gorgeous shades of hair! I've used Schwarzkopf before, I've bought the Palette in Magical Blue Black (no review, only a haul). But I was disappointed with it, because there was only a faint sheen of blue, and the black faded from my hair quite quickly. The trouble with Schwarzkopf also is

Old Town White Coffee Ipoh Hor Fun review

  Who doesn't like Old Town White Coffee? It's so nostalgic, from the furniture they have to the food they serve. It's really like a throwback to the simpler times in Singapore. According to Wikipedia, Old Town White Coffee is the largest kopitiam restaurant chain in Malaysia and has over 180 outlets in the region. Can you believe that? I love their kaya toast and of course, their Ipoh Hor Fun. Why go to Penang when you can just enjoy the Hor Fun here? Normally I get those Ipoh Hor Fun that is served in rich gravy, with not much soup. But this one is served in a clear broth, which is perfect for a light meal that is also filling. At the end of it, you won't feel too full or bloated like if you had something richer. The kway teow is served with generous helpings of prawns and chicken shreds every time I go there (my favourite outlet is Playground at East Coast Park, the area that used to be Big Splash. There are 8 outlets in Singapore at the moment, and they ar