Skip to main content

Beauty and the Briefcase movie review

Like most girls, I like movies that involve fashion. So movies like the Devil Wears Prada rank very highly on my favourite movie list.

I stumbled upon this movie and watched it because of Hilary Duff. I don't love her, but she's alright, and she was good in Lizzie McGuire so I thought I'd like to see her tackle this. It also stars True Blood's Michael Mcmillian, Kyle XY's Matt Dallas and The OC's Chris Carmack.

Beauty and the Briefcase collaborated with Cosmopolitan magazine to produce a story of a girl who goes undercover in the world of business to write an article about dating 'men in suits' and finding love in the business world. It's a predictably thin plot, and the chances are, you can guess the ending before you reach the end of the movie.

Warning: There may be spoilers ahead, so if you prefer to watch the movie without being spoiled, it is best that you don't continue reading.

There are a lot more minuses than plus points in this movie. I found myself not liking most characters, which makes it hard to root for any one of them. Hilary Duff's character also comes off as very unlikeable, especially when she lies and cheats her way through, and is unrepentant when her lies are found out.

Many elements of the movie are also unrealistic. While you might argue that movies can be unrealistic, this movie reaches a point of being over-unrealistic in ways that are not entertaining. The titular character manages to secure a job at an investment firm despite not having any credentials, she keeps secrets from everyone but when they invariably find out, it leads to a quick confrontation and a cliched resolution.

I think one of the only redeeming factors is the wardrobe. I enjoyed watching most of the clothes and accessories shown, especially for Jaime Pressly, who plays the Cosmo editor. The outfits are colorful and cheery, and should definitely give some inspiration to those looking for office wear that is both professional and fashionable (go easy on the tight-fitting clothes, they're not that office-appropriate).

I think that in the end, the only character that I liked was the tech-wizard guy. Especially when he finally gets to spin in that chair!

So overall, I would generally give this movie a miss. Unless you really love one of the actors in the movie, I wouldn't recommend it.

Fun Trivia: Cosmo's real editor makes a cameo appearance in a speaking role. She is the woman who says "It's a beautiful building, isn't it?" to Hilary Duff when she looks up at the Cosmo magazine building!


Beauty and the Briefcase review: 1 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro Post

Despite the name, this blog is not about carousels or couture (although you never know, that might change?). Nobody likes to spend money on something, only to discover that it does not deliver what it has promised. I sure don't. So I start this blog with the hopes that perhaps it'll help someone find their holy grail. And maybe, I'll find my own on the way too. Expect to find beauty and skincare reviews, book reviews, movie reviews, and current obsessions. Oh, and a little couture here and there too.

Schwarzkopf Ultimate Colour 499 Dark Cherry review

TDLR Review:  I would not recommend this hair colour product at all, because the shade turned out nothing like the box. Also it is difficult to wash off.  NOTE: I have dark Asian hair, which might be the reason why it's not suitable for this product. So I'm back with another hair dye review! I've raved about the Liese hair dyes before ( Cassis Berry , Sweet Apricot , Antique Rose ), because those are super easy to use (I've appreciated that even more after finding out how difficult some at-home hair dye kits can be to apply). But I got suckered into getting a box of Schwarzkopf Ultimate Colour hair dye, because the models on Schwarzkopf hair dye boxes always have gorgeous shades of hair! I've used Schwarzkopf before, I've bought the Palette in Magical Blue Black (no review, only a haul). But I was disappointed with it, because there was only a faint sheen of blue, and the black faded from my hair quite quickly. The trouble with Schwarzkopf also is

Old Town White Coffee Ipoh Hor Fun review

  Who doesn't like Old Town White Coffee? It's so nostalgic, from the furniture they have to the food they serve. It's really like a throwback to the simpler times in Singapore. According to Wikipedia, Old Town White Coffee is the largest kopitiam restaurant chain in Malaysia and has over 180 outlets in the region. Can you believe that? I love their kaya toast and of course, their Ipoh Hor Fun. Why go to Penang when you can just enjoy the Hor Fun here? Normally I get those Ipoh Hor Fun that is served in rich gravy, with not much soup. But this one is served in a clear broth, which is perfect for a light meal that is also filling. At the end of it, you won't feel too full or bloated like if you had something richer. The kway teow is served with generous helpings of prawns and chicken shreds every time I go there (my favourite outlet is Playground at East Coast Park, the area that used to be Big Splash. There are 8 outlets in Singapore at the moment, and they ar